We here at Knottown have noticed some significant trends in the office fitout market over the last couple of months, and we thought it may be useful to share this knowledge with those of you considering an office fitout:
- The day of the high walled cubicle is now a thing of the past. That is not to say that offices aren’t providing quiet, confidential areas for people to work in but these areas are becoming more of a dedicated “hotdesk” whereby any employee can retreat to and use if they so wish. The growing trend is towards maximising employee productivity and as such more and more of the workspaces are encouraging teamwork and collaboration, with an option to retreat to privacy and quietness if required. Here is a recent project by our clients OLS Architects which demonstrates the latest trends.
- There is also growing trend of office spaces getting more social. Now we are not just talking about some of the large tech companies when we say this but our experience is that there is a trend toward casual meeting areas, break out areas, communal eating areas and the like. Below is picture of our neighbours offices “Done Deal” which is coming more of a typical working environment. (Designed by the wonderful Anne Doyle of Page Interiors) You can start to see where the office is now becoming more of a “Home away from Home”. We spend enough time there and that’s for sure!
- The office space has also become much more engaging with their employees as companies strive to attract and retain the best. Only time will tell whether is a fad but certainly there is an increasing use of bold colours, inspirational murals on the wall, the use of frosted glass and all sorts of funky furniture. We love the funky furniture here at Knottown!
- Mother nature is in! Last year we had nature prints on the wall, this year we are seeing more garden areas and plant installations are employers are looking to try and give employees a moment of reflection and solitude if they need it. Then they can get back to the desk refreshed and more motivated. It is all about happy employees!
- Health & Happiness. If you are happy in your work then you will perform better. There are a range of initiatives being introduced in 2016. Even our neighbours at Wexford Enterprise Centre have forged a path by providing an innovative workout area. Designed only for a short five or ten minute getaway, the whole concept is to allow colleagues the opportunity to clear their head. It also doubles up and confirms our previous point about offices trying to “bring the outside in”.
Businesses now recognise that the presentation of a workplace represents a company’s brand and that it plays an important role in forming and maintaining the corporate culture. Being collaborative, creative and flexible is the new trend. Keeping your employees engaged, healthy and motivated is a trend we hope is here for a very long time.
For your next office fitout project, we would be delighted if you would contact Knottown Joinery. We would love to work with you and deliver craftsmanship you can admire.